Monday, September 14, 2009

Typical food, Typical Arequipa

Typically, Nicole and I seek high end fusion joints for la cena (dinner). Instead, last night, Nicole busted out some improv and took us to a "typical" Arequipena restaurant.

The menu consisted of designer pets (guinea pig and llama/alpaca) and other local favorites, including hot peppers stuffed with mystery meats and avocados stuffed with mayonaise. We enjoyed all of the above, except for the famed guinea pig, or cuy. (I plan to dine on this delicacy in Cusco.)

Halfway through our meal, we were delighted to find a Peruvian quintet serenading us to typical Andean tunes. We loved them so much we bought their CD...

So much typical fare, but we just couldn't get enough. Luckily, our most favorite of the typical fare, Arequipena Cerveza, comes in 750 ml bottles. Salud!






-- Posted from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. So glad to hear you guys are enjoying Peru. I'm so jealous and I wish I was back there with you.

    Great sweater purchase! They are perfect for the cold nights in Cusco!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is up with drinking straight from the bottle? Where are the wine glasses? Actually, I am jealous -- I am only going to York PA to play golf with Uncle Steve for the next four days. However, for Labor day, I went in the ocean with Uncle Michael and Uncle Steve -- the first time we have done this in quite a while. Grandmom was on a beach chair telling us to be careful. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete